The lost continent of Atlantis was sunk, according to Plato, upon a decision of the Gods seeing that the human race had become debased. This equates with the reasons given in Genesis for the imposition of Noah's flood upon mankind and many link the two events as merely different accounts of the same story.
Here's a site which quotes the relevant extract of Plato's texts about the lost continent and conjectures that a classical sculpture, the Parthenon Frieze records the debate of the Greek Gods. Plato's account (the full text of Critias and Timaeus are available from links below) is derived from the Athenian Solon from the priests of Ancient Egypt. Many believe these stories to be fanciful but David Pinnegar BSc ARCS who owns a copy of the Parthenon Frieze observes the Parthenon contains all the elements referred to by Plato - the Council of Gods - the soldiers who lost their lives in the battle between Athens and Atlantis - and the mighty statue of the fully armed Goddess of Athena ready to defend Athens again. As the story was told by the Egyptian priests, many believe that the pyramids and the Sphinx were in some way associated with Mu, Lemuria and the lost continent in the Atlantic Ocean. Powers of telepathic communications were said to have been available to us then. Here's a site that starts to explain them and a possible connexion with the pyramids.Perhaps genetic engineering happened before the destruction?!
A psychic by the name of Edgar Cayce talked much of the ancient civilisation . Many psychics and others "remember" the place, its life and times. Some psychics access their information by way of a meditation concentrating upon light and the colours of the chakras "Love and light" has therefore become an Atlantean valediction.
There are many sites dealing with Atlantean knowledge and we hope to list all relevant Atlantis sites here. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you know of an Atlantis source which should be added.
If you are a rising sould in sinking times :-) and would like to join The Atlantis mailing list discussing Atlantean matters just email email@example.com with the word "subscribe atlantis" in the body of the message .
People on the mailing list cover topics of Atlantis information, whether the Pillars of Hercules are the straights of Gibraltar and whether "beyond the Pillars" refers to the Atlantic Ocean rather than a feature within the Mediterranean sea, Cayce, the Pyramids, the Sphinx, SOURCES OF INFO ABOUT ATLANTIS, PLATO, CRITIAS, CAYCE, other lost civilizations - the Maya, Inca, aspects of ancient history, archaeology, , ancient buildings and pre-historic architecture, Macchu Picchu, Uxmal, Mexico, Chichen Itza, and Egypt.
Here are some links for sites you also must visit . . . I don't agree with all of them but as there is so little "hard fact" who am I to disagree!!!?
Here's the text of Critias which is the starting point for all Atlantean research and Timaeus
Tamar George's web page
Interesting dream of webmaster on morning of 7 January 1997.
Sorry for haste in typing.
Friend with me has to close the gates on a level crossing across a railway. Steam train with trucks loaded with sand comes, stops just in time to avoid crashing into the gates but is temporarily slightly derailed. no driver. just sand in the cab. Notice the wheels are more like Meccano than solid real wheels. Notice front wheels are missing and the sand in the cab is necessary to balance it and prevent the front dropping on its nose. Gates open and train proceeds unconcerned to down a hill in front with no front wheels and out of sight . I turn round to see stagnant water stream or canal. walk around a left hand corner. Stream becomes empty or clear water. Big fish like salmon at bottom in the mud and some other creature - I'm told it's a dog but it's aquatic. My eldest young son jumps in and i feel concerned danger, catches fish like tickling trout. The other creature rears up and i catch it and hold it around the neck, slippery and slimy. Son picks fish up, as big as him, sqeezes it behind the gills and kills it.
After such a catastrophe such as Noah's Flood or the destruction of Atlantis, a few native people will have survived in the far out of the way places - Plato explained this:
Hephaestus and Athene, who were brother and sister, and sprang from the same father [Zeus - the Chairman on the Parthenon Frieze] , having a common nature, and being united also in the love of philosophy and art, both obtained as their common portion this land, which was naturally adapted for wisdom and virtue; and there they implanted brave children of the soil, and put into their minds the order of government; their names are preserved, but their actions have disappeared by reason of the destruction of those who received the tradition, and the lapse of ages. [The effect of the legend of Babel] For when there were any survivors, as I have already said, they were men who dwelt in the mountains; and they were ignorant of the art of writing, and had heard only the names of the chiefs of the land, but very little about their actions. The names they were willing enough to give to their children; but the virtues and the laws of their predecessors, they knew only by obscure traditions; and as they themselves and their children lacked for many generations the necessaries of life, they directed their attention to the supply of their wants, and of them they conversed, to the neglect of events that had happened in times long past; for mythology and the enquiry into antiquity [The circumstances which gave Athens the luxury of being able to build the Parthenon] are first introduced into cities when they begin to have leisure, and when they see that the necessaries of life have already been provided, but not before.
There are those who think that Atlantis is found in the intellect - well we might find a few clues - If we, according to karma, are not to reflect the destruction of Atlantis in its own re-creation, it is worth listening to what they have to say . . .
Here's a quotation from a spiritual elder of Native Americans - perhaps one of those peoples referred to by Plato as having been living in the far off mountains in teh time of Atlantis:
Drawing on this collective consciousness of countless previous generations, we have the divine capacity to resolve and heal all past grief and hatred while building a new world that will fully realize the vast potential of the human family, both individually and collectively.
We are living in the days of the fulfillment of ancient sacred prophecies. An Elder once told me, "Grandson, the longest road you will ever have to walk in your life is the sacred journey from your head to your heart." Another wise Elder said, "We will never solve the many critical and life threatening issues before us solely through the intellect, for every problem the intellect solves, it creates ten more." Unto itself the intellect is a sacred gift of the Creator, but equally, without an open, visionary and creative heart there is no wisdom. Both the mind and heart are sacred. Both are inseparably connected. Countless centuries before, our ancient tribal prophecies clearly spoke of the day that is now unfolding before us. [Was this by way of a sort of memory of an ancient Atlantis story?]It is toward the vision of establishing a new world civilization founded in spiritual principles and values that I wish to speak to you, to share with you the innermost feelings and thoughts of my heart and mind.
In December 1982, on the high plains of Alberta, forty wise, respected and dedicated elders, spiritual leaders and community members from different tribal societies across North America came together for four days and nights of in-depth purposeful consultation. Our common purpose was to develop a model of human and community development, inspired and guided by organizing principles, values, strategies and processes of sustainable change, healing and development rooted deep in the natural laws that are at the inmost heart and core of tribal cultures throughout Mother Earth. Through this prayerful, elder-guided, consultation process emerged the spiritual guidance, understanding, wisdom, strength, vision and faith that the tribal people of North America that chose and were committed to do so, had the potential to develop sustainable, healthy, creative and spiritually balanced communities.
With the unfailing guidance and assistance from those beloved elders that are walking the path before us, it has become very clear that the long spiritual wintertime of our tribal peoples is over and the long-awaited springtime is unfolding, slowly, but steadily with every-increasing beauty and healing in every direction. It is, also, very clear that as we heal ourselves and our communities that tribal peoples will have a greater and greater role to play in the positive unfolding of this dynamic change throughout Mother Earth.
(1) Environmental destruction is increasing throughout our planet. Along with that destruction, indigenous populations are rapidly disappearing. Unless there is a dramatic change in our actions towards our sacred Mother Earth, humanity's ultimate survival is more than doubtful. During the early years of North American's "new" ecological consciousness, my grandfather had a conversation with an old friend while visiting the Standing Rock Sioux Reservation in South Dakota. He asked my grandfather to explain to him what ecology was all about. "Well" my grandfather said, "you know we have these educational institutions now where you can go to study books, and talk and learn about life. Some people attend these institutions for many, many years. After they have read enough books, written about what they have read about, and talked about what they have written about, they become doctors of life. These doctors then get jobs where they earn a lot of money, so they can talk and study more. They have machines that look at things that are real small and make them look big, and other machines that look at things far away and make them look close. They even put different materials in containers and pour them back and forth so they can find out more about Mother Earth. Anyway, they have spent great amounts of money and studied Mother Earth for many, many years and they have recently made a new discovery. They found out that everything is interrelated. They found out that when you pollute the air which all living things breathe and pollute the water which all living things drink, you pollute all living things. What do you think about that?"
The old man smiled knowingly and shook his head. "I was wondering when they would get around to that! Just look at what we do to our Mother Earth. We cut her hair where it should not be cut and rip up her skin where it should not be ripped up, then we drill holes inside her and suck all of her blood out and put things inside of her and blow her bones up." He then looked deeply into the eyes of my grandfather and shook his finger. "And what would happen if you did that to your mother? She would die! And this is exactly what is going to happen to all of us if we do not learn to respect and understand the spirit and teachings of our sacred Mother."
(2) Along with the dramatic increase in, environmental destruction, natural disasters are synergistically and simultaneously increasing everywhere on Mother Earth. These natural disasters include; earth quakes, droughts, hurricanes, weather changes, incurable diseases, air, soil and water pollution, floods, tornadoes, insect infestations, and the destruction of the ozone layer and polar ice caps. The Western medical complex is just beginning to realize that their world-wide war on disease is failing on many fronts. Super drugs have created super diseases that are beginning to break through every line of defense that has been created by Western Science, with little hope that more expensive and powerful drugs will prevent these super diseases from having rapid, deadly, widespread global impact. In their desperation to find new "cures", the Western medical complex is currently spending hundreds of millions of dollars to research plants and herbs that were developed and utilized for countless centuries by Indigenous science systems in an effort to find alternative ways to deal with these new, deadly, human-created strains of disease.
(3) The world's population is increasing by more than 92,000,000 human beings every year. In fact, if every human being who now lives on Mother Earth were able to experience the average economic status found in middle income homes in North America, we would need two more entire planets. Until we thoroughly understand the true meaning of respect for all life, and the sacredness of the relationship between woman and man, we will continue to move towards worldwide disaster.
(4) Global economic competition is increasing. The current world economic system is completely out of control despite the best efforts of our nation states.
Instead of sovereignty in its truest meaning, financial institutions of this world are unwisely attempting to manipulate and control our economic and social destiny for selfish purposes. For instance the stock markets of the world are increasingly de-stabilized by financial speculators whose primary motive appears to be the unquenchable thirst for material riches at whatever the cost to future generations. More economic theories and external controls will not solve this ever deepening crisis.
Only when our hearts experience the divine reality that there is only one race, the human race, and that all Mother Earth is the common spiritual heritage of all beings, will we be able to develop economic systems that are life preserving and life sustaining. As a wise Elder once told me, whenever we make economic gain on the weakness of others or unfairly exploit others for our own selfish purposes, we will pay a very high price. In essence, the hurt of one is the hurt of all, and the honour of one is the honour of all.
(5) The social and cultural disintegration of human beings and their communities is increasing with every passing hour. Divorce, child sexual abuse, teenage pregnancy, substance abuse, family violence, abuse of women, violent crimes, suicide and other distinct signs of our every increasing human sickness are as clear to see as the midday sun. Only when we are able to understand and embrace one another as sisters and brothers will we have an everlasting foundation for rebuilding our communities and the world.
As one of my grandfathers said to me, "You know grandson, the Great Spirit, Wakan Tanka, has given all people wisdom. To every living thing he has given something special. Some people receive their knowledge and understanding through books. In your life grandson, you too must read and study books, but remember to take with you on your journey only those things that bring more unity within yourself and others, that bring goodness and understanding and help us to serve one another in better ways. Wakan Tanka also gave our Native people, and all other people who live close to Mother Earth, wisdom and knowledge through dreams, visions, fasting, prayer, and the ability to see the lessons the creator has put in every part of creation. Look at those trees standing over there; the alder does not tell the pine tree to move over; the pine does not tell the fir tree to move over; each tree stands there in unity, with their mouth pressed toward the same Mother Earth, refreshed by the same breeze, warmed by the same sum, with their arms upraised in prayer and thanksgiving, protecting one another. If we are to have peace in the world, we too must learn to live like those trees. Look, grandson, at the beautiful teachings the Creator has put in the little stream. Feel that water and see how gently and lovingly it touches your hands. It travels through deserts and mountains and many places, but it never turns its back on anyone or anything. Even though it gives life to all living things, it is very humble, for it always seeks the very lowest spot. But is has great faith, power and patience for even if a mountain stands in its path, it keeps moving and moving until finally that mountain is washed into sea and is no more. These are spiritual gifts that the Creator has given each one of us and if we are to be happy within ourselves and with one another, we too must develop these sacred gifts."
(6) As the old world order becomes increasingly unstable, governments, in an effort to try and control the social and political disintegration process are increasingly violating human rights. As these abuses increase, an ever greater number of people will react to them with greater violence; acts of violence not only against governments but between ethnic and racial groups as well. The spiritual reality is that the old world order is no longer able to meet the needs of the peoples of Mother Earth.
Only by providing positive alternatives to the destructive and inharmonious patterns of living will we be able to rebuild our families and communities.
Without love and forgiveness for ourselves and others we will be unable to heal the age old fear, mistrust, greed, selfishness and hatred that is destroying the innermost heart of the human family. External control and repression of the human spirit will not end the devastation of our worldwide social order.
Only self discipline and penetrating vision in the service of the Creator, others and ourselves, will enable us to be victorious over all the abuse of the human spirit that surround every human being and every human community.
(7) As governments become more rigid, abusive and uncompromising in a last ditch effort to save the disintegrating institutions of the old world order, terrorism and random acts of violence will increase dramatically. This movement of disintegration will continue until the ancient teachings found at the heart of all living cultures and spiritual traditions that teach us how to live in harmony and balance with all life are once again alive. We have a critical decision before us. Will we continue to walk the path of hatred and revenge or will we choose to walk the path of healing?